Sunday, March 30, 2014

Black is the new Black

For my first fashion post I decided to start with my basic - black.


My favorite color ya'll


And by basic I don't mean unsophisticated. I mean that it feels like going home, or that it's something I can always rely on to feel comfortable, chic, and put together. Yohji Yamamoto said it perfectly -"Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy - but mysterious." And if there is anything about me that you need to know, it's that I am lazy and mysterious. hahaha Just kidding.

I did a little research on the psychological properties of the color black. Black is powerful (sometimes intimidating), it communicates sophistication, it creates a perception of weight and seriousness, and implies self-control and discipline. (Do I sound like a boss yet?) But I REALLY don't think that I come off as intimidating. I don't think I could if I tried. haha I just like black, okay?


Happy Happy Happy


But black being my favorite color does not mean that I am depressed and/or angry all the time. It actually makes me really happy to wear black. This sounds weird - but when I wear black I feel like I am wearing a hug all day. So don't worry if you see me wearing all-black-all-the-time, because I am actually wearing all-hugs-all-the-time! And my cutie friend Ashlee agrees with me. She says, and I quote, ""Wearing black is something that makes me feel good. Black just fits and looks good on any day. - But really though." Obviously she's pretty darn cool. 

Need anymore reasons to wear black? Johnny Cash did it. So does Mary-Kate and Ashley. It can cause you to blend in or stand out. It's figure flattering on every skin tone. It's a neutral that can go with ANY other color. (I challenge you to find a color that doesn't look fab with it) Like Karl Lagerfeld said, "One is never overdressed or under-dressed in a little black dress." And Coco Chanel said, "Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony." If Karl and Coco say it's okay, it's REALLY okay.


 

But you are probably asking yourself, "WHY DO I CARE THAT YOU WEAR BLACK?". And to that I say, "Okay, calm down. There is really no need to yell here, I can hear you just fine." I'm waiting for an apology now but you've had a rather frustrating day so you just can't do that.
Luckily I am empathetic and I am moving on. The reason that you might care a little bit is because I have had a lot of people tell me that my attitude (depression) would cheer up if my wardrobe would cheer up. And that's just not the case with me. 
Black makes me happy. Plain and simple.

So I am telling you to do what makes you happy. Regardless of everybody's misconceptions are about what makes you happy, just do it anyways. (As long as you are doing safe things. You might say that knife fights make you happy but you should in no way compare that to my long-black-fringed-kimono-vest that makes me feel like a million bucks.) So if clowns genuinely make you happy and don't scare your pants off - then buy the clown coloring book. Or if castles are your absolute favorite things and you have the means to build one (complete with a moat and door/bridge) then by all means, build that sucker. (And then invite me over because I want to see it.)




I mean, come summertime I probably won't be wearing black as often because my summer clothes are not as dark as my winter clothes. (Although I do have dreams of a giant vat of black RIT dye and throwing all my clothes and inhibitions in there...) But - summertime is my most comfortable season anyways. 

And don't mind that I'm not smiling in hardly any of these pictures.... there was a lot going on that day. haha 

No comments: